We are all condamnés . . .: we are all under sentence of death but with a sort of indefinite reprieve . . .: we have an interval, and then our place knows us no more. Some spend this interval in listlessness, some in high passions, the wisest, at least among "the children of this world," in art and song. For our one chance lies in expanding that interval, in getting as many pulsations as possible into the given time (….)-- Walter Pater, "Conclusion," The Renaissance: Studies in Art and Poetry, 1868(1)
Today I chanced upon this wonderful perspective on the meaning of living. I had sort of decided a purpose of my living during my early twenties. I call it greater good ... more on that later. Recently, I got a chance to fill in the last blank - the meaning of living. It was worth it ... to actually experience what it means to live. The above quote summarizes my experience in a very nice way, though taken out of context but extremely befitting.
Word of caution: don't take the quote literally, interpret it without any reservations to appreciate it fully.

No comments:
Post a Comment