Tomorrow (31st Jan) is Holy Saraswati Puja. She is the Goddess of learning and all things related. That includes art, literature, music (it conveniently skips out the evil ones like the art of nuke making but I'll leave that debate to our forefathers). On the matter at hand, I realised that since the last couple of weeks I am been living on music, movies and books.
Literally ... music is running nearly 24x7 (sometimes when I am off to bed I keep some Bach concert or WCRB FM running). I have refused myself even a pint of idleness ... Eh bien! At least I try hard (not much success though). I was introduced to western (alternative/indie) rock by someone a few weeks ago and ... I must confess ... now all I listen to is alternative rock (except classical during late nights). Once in a while I sidestep into mainstream rock or some other genres but I have found myself most comfortable with alternative rock. Is it human nature to like old songs ... why don't they write songs like those in the 60s/70s anymore ? I didn't quite like Coldplay - Snow Patrol is better ... Nirvana is too weird. Maybe I am biased towards Piano over Guitar, but I have grown a soft corner for Sir Elton Hercules John. And no ... I still think a lot of the current rock music is basically noise with catchy tune and feet-tapping beats ... why do they even bother to have vocal ?!
Thanks to Youtube and Pandora, I can listen to the famous songs hand picked by enthusiasts - thanks folks. I also noticed I like male artists better; this is strange since I prefer female Bangla adhunik artists over male voice. I bought a few singles and CDs - too bad you can't buy most of the Beatles singles online. I am really glad I discovered this new liking since the Bangla and Hindi songs I like are old and limited in number and I simply cannot tolerate the new ones. Last week I went to a (FREE!!! Yay!) concert by the famous Muir String Quartet - that was also very good. Anyone has an original CD-pack for the Elton John 1970-2002 hits for sale, including the "bonus CD"? This seems to be hard to find anywhere... ahh... I just started listening and I am already acting picky :-) ... somethings just simply won't change.
I am not feeling very well these days ... kind of feeling sloppy every time, not my usual energetic self. Something is missing. Sleep is also irregular - it does not help that my room always gets very dry when heating is turned on.
There is no one interesting to talk to ... too much information is in the ether and not much wisdom. Nowadays I listen to what books have to say. On my turn, I write blog or diary (yes ... a new friend). I finished a few books lately. Currently I am reading Paulo Coelho's "Eleven minutes". I will write about it when I am done; in short, it is about a girl who tries to find love in a strange way. Maybe unintended, but the books puts me face to face in front of some challenging questions about life. Provocative and dark ... my kind.
Of course, I am thinking about research when I am supposed to ... that is most of the time I am my awaken self (rule #1 for a grad student). My proposal got deferred to next week. Wish me luck. I am dancing close but still a few steps away from my love and cannot find a way to get closer ... I hope I get her eventually. I have been thinking on this problem for a long long time but she is nowhere close to "Yes" even after a few initial kisses.
When tired of thinking and not in the mood of Maria's view on love, I am watching movies. Boston Public Library has a good collection of DVDs. This week I am planning to watch Che and Gran Torino - the latter got a good review by the Rolling Stone and I just _have_ to watch the former - c'mon it is about Che. I watched 2 of the 5 best picture Academy nominations for this year and I should say this is a bad year for movies ... neither Slumdog nor Benjamin Button is that great a movie (and can someone enlighten me what is so great about Slumdog ... it's a good one but not worth all these shouts). The Oscar committee should think about skipping the best picture award this year, just out of respect to previous awardees.
Idle moments are bad ... bloody. This I know since my IIT-K days. It has become worse lately. It is hard to remain spotless in this ruthless world but I am trying to ameliorate.
Speaking of music, I really liked the "Working on a Dream" song from Springsteen's latest album. I bought the song. He will be performing in Boston in April and I really wanna wanna go see his perform live... anyone has an extra $300 lying around ?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment